![]() |
| Aadya, Aarushi & Rishabh off to school |
I have also found a pretty good groove vis-a-vis my two Melbourne-based business ventures, Health Enterprises and Imageryworks. If you recall from my first blog, my commitment was to work and be available at least half-time with the Health Enterprises business (my mornings, their afternoons each week day). I am happy to tell you that this has been easier than I imagined. And probably better too, as it has forced us to be much more disciplined with weekly meetings with and also across each of our teams. Most importantly, I have unearthed opportunity for our business here in India, and I am hoping to make something happen while I am still here. Imageryworks has also benefitted tremendously from my being here. As I have discussed with many of you, our next big bet in Imageryworks is an innovative smartphone App that meditation schools and programs anywhere in the world can give to their students as a valuable practise-aid, along with their own content and programs. We have been looking for a smart App development company with whom to partner on this venture, and lo and behold, my brother-in-law Sushim goes and joins exactly such an outfit in Pune! So now they are developing the App for us - how wonderfully synchronous!
Right then, let's get on to the account of this previous month.
![]() |
| Marvelling at the size of the Malda |
![]() |
| "mhuhaa hahaha" |
![]() |
| Eating a Chausa as you are meant to |
Alphonso, Safeda, Dussheri, Kesari, Langda,
Chausa, Sinduri, Malda .. the different varieties of mangoes that we have eaten by the bucketful in the last 3
months! Indian summers are unbearably hot, but mangoes make them worth
living through. And what a treat they've been! Dad has thoroughly indulged
his mango-philia, ensuring that we have had mangoes every day with either lunch
or dinner, and most often both! The kids have goaded him along, with Aarushi
commandeering the “guthli” (the stone), and usually having at least two or
three of them on her plate by the time she has finished. We made the mistake of
having a skype session with Rashmi (my evil twin) in Canada during one of these
mango-eating binges and we could see a slack-jawed Aryan (Rashmi’s 12 year old
son) watching on awestruck. Aryan ranks up there with Aarushi and Dad in his
extreme fondness for mangoes. For the record, the Kesari from Ahmedabad, Gujarat was my favourite - a truly sublime creation.
Meanwhile Lychies also made a brief appearance,
followed by Jamun (a purple berry), and then finally the monsoon! What a
wonderful relief that was. Shibani and I had planned to get out and dance in
the first rain. But we missed it as it came down in the night.
![]() |
| Enjoying the first monsoon soak |
I got my share in
the morning though, when I had to go up to the terrace to unclog the drains (there was ankle-deep
water on the terrace that was merrily dripping into the rooms below. As Billu
Mama quipped, “In India it doesn’t just rain outside the house”). But the rains
then completely stopped, making the entire country panic. Agriculture is by far
the largest industry of the Indian economy and Indian farmers are heavily
dependent on the monsoon due to still fairly disorganized and antiquated
agricultural practices. A good monsoon adds almost 2% to India’s annual
economic growth!
![]() |
| You do what you can to keep the rain out |
As if to teach us equanimity, the monsoon
comes first as an almighty relief from the months of oppressive heat, but then
brings along its own share of goodies – insects and in Haridwar, Kanvadiyas (not that I am
equating the two). “What on earth is Kanvadiyas” I hear you ask. It’s the same
question I asked when a friend mentioned it only recently. The answer? About 20 million saffron-clad men
and women who descend upon Haridwar each monsoon from all over the country, to collect water from the Ganga (the Ganges) and take back to their village
temples (hence the "Man-goes" in the blog title- "ahh.. so that's what it was" I hear you say...).
| Queue of Kanvadiyas walking along the Ganga |
![]() |
| I finally look my age :) |
Blissfully unaware of the sheer magnitude
of this Kanvadiya phenomenon, I organised a “surprise” 40th birthday
party for myself smack-bang in the middle of the two Kanvad weeks! (“surprise”
only because no-one else seemed to be doing anything about it and I am after
all the master of surprise birthday parties, so I thought I’d best get on to it
myself). And to top it off, lots of unsuspecting family and friends from all
parts of the country joyfully agreed to come here to help me celebrate. Only
when everyone started having trouble with incoming and outgoing train bookings
etc. did the penny drop about what we had gotten ourselves into.
Fortunately they all got here although it took poor Yogesh ji nearly 10 hours on the bus from Delhi for what would otherwise have been a 5 hour ride (and then 12 hours back!). But the celebrations turned out to be truly an UNEXPECTED PARTY! With so many people in the house including my in-laws, Fufaji and Yogesh ji from Delhi, Mausi from Mumbai, my good friend Aman from Ludhiana, and my cousin-cum-local-travel-agent Anamika and her colleague Sarika from Moradabad, it felt like there was a wedding in the house. We sang, joked and laughed late into the night. I found out only the morning of the party, and that too from an accidental phone call from my friend Hemant, that the rest of the family had indeed been working hard behind the scenes to organise a genuine surprise for me. They had reached out to five of my Ballia high school friends (Navin, Hemant, Manish, Saumya & Shis), who had each booked to get here for the party. Unfortunately all of them had to cancel at the last minute due to work or family reasons.. but the effort was heartfelt and received with much gratitude!
| Dad singing, Pa & Ma dancing |
The birthday party itself was grand, celebrated along with our guests as well as all our Haridwar friends and family including Rakesh, Abhiram and Madhavi. Even the elusive Rashmi joined on Skype from Ottawa, Canada, along with Amit, Aryan and Diya (it was Rashmi's 40th birthday too, being the evil twin and all that.. Happy Birthday again dear dear Rashmi). Every guest chipped in with a song or a joke or just a few words to mark the occasion, which was wonderfully touching. And it goes without saying that we finished the night with robust singing including Dad's "aye meri zohra-jabeen" (complete with Shibani's Dad dancing with his trademark white handkerchief, pictured), and my "chalat musafir".
We've covered mangoes and "man-goes", so now on to the Mango People. Those of you who know Hindi already know what I am referring to of course, and Rishabh made mention of this in his blog - the word for Mango in Hindi is "Aam", which also happens to mean "common". So "Mango People" is an affectionate term for the proverbial "common" men and women of India. I have had the opportunity to interact with all kinds of people in these past months, and my sense is that there is something new afoot - there seems to be a once in a life-time opportunity to close the gap between "Bharat" (the Hindi name for India) and India. "What's the difference", you ask? Well, India is english-speaking, dynamic and globally oriented. You catch glimpses of it in the swanky offices and plush, affluent homes of Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. Since the economy was first unshackled 25 years ago from 200 years of debilitating colonial rule followed by 40 years of misguided socialistic policies (inducing rampant corruption along the way), India has raced ahead. It has produced many global industrial icons including in Information technology. And let's not forget the Indian cricket team that has gone from perennial under performers to one of the best international teams over the last 14 years or so. And then there is Bharat, which you see around here in Haridwar - at the subzi mandi (open air fruit and vegetable market as mentioned earlier), at the crowded train station, and on the chaotic roads. It is distinctly poorer, non-english speaking, strongly family-oriented and with old fashioned values (both good and bad). And it is the vast majority of this country's citizens. Life is fairly good in India, but still quite wretched in Bharat.
But Bharat is palpably on the move, and seems determined to catch up with India. It is undeniably Bharat that voted in the current BJP government led by the charismatic Mr. Modi. I have no doubt that the Modi government will deliver much needed infrastructure (roads, rail, ports, electricity, drinking water, sanitation, waste management, irrigation), stabilise inflation, adopt sensible fiscal and monetary policy, turf out archaic labour laws that actually restrict employment, and generally stimulate economic growth. But I believe for the country to truly change radically and fast, each citizen (both Indian and Bharatiya), will also have to do his/her bit. This realisation has led me to an interesting vox pop experiment. I have taken to asking all and sundry this simple question - "What is the one simple thing every man, woman and child can change in his/her own every-day behaviour to change this country for the better?"
I am particularly inspired by (a) the pedantic focus on eradicating small but unsocial behaviours such as public spitting amongst Singaporeans by the Lee Kwan Yu government in the 1960s that eventually lead to such a dramatic improvement in public hygiene, and (b) the recent success of the winning and hugely popular "ab ki baar Modi sarkar" slogan ("this time a Modi government") that won such a landslide victory for the BJP. So popular was this slogan that it sparked off a massive trail of quite funny memes as you can see here. I feel that if the same PR team of Mr. Modi could come up with an equivalent campaign to drive change across just one key public issue, it could create immense grass-roots change.
And so my question again, "What is the one simple thing every man, woman and child can change in his/her own every-day behaviour to change this country for the better?" The answers have varied, and here are some of them -
1. Don't litter (from Shibani)
2. Don't drive on the wrong side of the road (I like this suggestion from Dad - simplest to do and easiest to spot!)
3. Respect women (comes from Mum)
4. Don't have more than 2 kids (suggested by Chiniya, our household help)
5. And my entry? Stop defecating in public. I think it is the #1 scourge. It is unpleasant, unnecessary and unhygienic. "Fortunately" some recent epidemiological studies are showing conclusively that Indian (Bharatiya...) kids are significantly more stunted physically as well as mentally compared to kids in much poorer countries. And the primary reason is diseases propagated from open defecation. So why am I terming this a "fortunate" development? Because there is no stronger impulse in this country than "betterment of my children". Parents will do almost anything to help their kids get ahead. And when they are told that their open defecation habits are damaging their own children, then, perhaps, they will change rather rapidly.
What is your #1 issue for a nation-wide public awareness campaign to change India for the better? Let us know by commenting below. We are contemplating sending the list to the now accessible and responsive Prime Minister's Office!
You will hear from Rishabh next month. Until then, be well, best wishes all round!
But Bharat is palpably on the move, and seems determined to catch up with India. It is undeniably Bharat that voted in the current BJP government led by the charismatic Mr. Modi. I have no doubt that the Modi government will deliver much needed infrastructure (roads, rail, ports, electricity, drinking water, sanitation, waste management, irrigation), stabilise inflation, adopt sensible fiscal and monetary policy, turf out archaic labour laws that actually restrict employment, and generally stimulate economic growth. But I believe for the country to truly change radically and fast, each citizen (both Indian and Bharatiya), will also have to do his/her bit. This realisation has led me to an interesting vox pop experiment. I have taken to asking all and sundry this simple question - "What is the one simple thing every man, woman and child can change in his/her own every-day behaviour to change this country for the better?"
I am particularly inspired by (a) the pedantic focus on eradicating small but unsocial behaviours such as public spitting amongst Singaporeans by the Lee Kwan Yu government in the 1960s that eventually lead to such a dramatic improvement in public hygiene, and (b) the recent success of the winning and hugely popular "ab ki baar Modi sarkar" slogan ("this time a Modi government") that won such a landslide victory for the BJP. So popular was this slogan that it sparked off a massive trail of quite funny memes as you can see here. I feel that if the same PR team of Mr. Modi could come up with an equivalent campaign to drive change across just one key public issue, it could create immense grass-roots change.
And so my question again, "What is the one simple thing every man, woman and child can change in his/her own every-day behaviour to change this country for the better?" The answers have varied, and here are some of them -1. Don't litter (from Shibani)
2. Don't drive on the wrong side of the road (I like this suggestion from Dad - simplest to do and easiest to spot!)
3. Respect women (comes from Mum)
4. Don't have more than 2 kids (suggested by Chiniya, our household help)
5. And my entry? Stop defecating in public. I think it is the #1 scourge. It is unpleasant, unnecessary and unhygienic. "Fortunately" some recent epidemiological studies are showing conclusively that Indian (Bharatiya...) kids are significantly more stunted physically as well as mentally compared to kids in much poorer countries. And the primary reason is diseases propagated from open defecation. So why am I terming this a "fortunate" development? Because there is no stronger impulse in this country than "betterment of my children". Parents will do almost anything to help their kids get ahead. And when they are told that their open defecation habits are damaging their own children, then, perhaps, they will change rather rapidly.
What is your #1 issue for a nation-wide public awareness campaign to change India for the better? Let us know by commenting below. We are contemplating sending the list to the now accessible and responsive Prime Minister's Office!
You will hear from Rishabh next month. Until then, be well, best wishes all round!








A great blog, as usual. Two fundamental changes I would like to see are
ReplyDeleteDiscipline in anything we do
Civic sense. An awareness that everything outside of my patch (usually house) belongs to me as well and I have to take care to maintain it